Name of Programme: Stand up Against Internet addiction and Cyber – Bullying
EDUCATIONAL SEMINARS ON PARENTS AND TEACHERS
PROMITHEAS C.N.P.C is a non-profit organization, being active in the field of Mental Health and Mental Retardation since 2003, with the objective of promoting mental health, defending the rights of vulnerable groups, informing and sensitizing the general public on mental health prevention and therapeutic services within the community.
According to WHO (2003), the teachers’ education in Mental Health issues includes the basic features for the formation of schools and communities which promote the students’ prosperity and the prevention of contemporary psycho-social problems in school and society.
SPECIFIC goals of the organization operations for the safer internet are:
- Promotion of mental health and information on issues related to contemporary psychosocial problems in the community and on the Internet, such as cyber-bullying snd internet-addiction
- Strengthening social cohesion and solidarity on issues related to the safe navigation of children on the Internet and dealing with cyber-bullying incidents.
PROMITHEAS C.N.P.C seminars’ took place on Parents and Teachers, of Schools of Primary and Secondary Education, from the “Galini” Day Center in Athens and Korinthos.
The entitled Action:
“ Stand up Against Internet addiction and Cyber – Bullying”
Concerning the phenomena of e-bullying in order to solve children’s problems in schools and the Internet.
- To achieve more effectively our goals, three stages took place for the seminar, with duration of three months per school.
First Stage: Teachers and Parents from Schools became in detail aware of internet addiction, cyber-bullying and other internet –related issues.
Second Stage: Implementation of the education of teachers and parents in cooperation with specialized external partners. It includes 5-hour theoretical presentations and 3-hour simulations of activities and experiential exercises.
Third Stage: Incident presentations to prepare a way for participants to intervene with conclusions and suggestions.:
The results of Educational Programme on Parents and Teachers had positive impact.
The Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Education gave the permission concerning the conduction of this programme.
Specifically, the success elements were:
- Teachers and parents broadened their horizons in relation to the child and teenager psychology
- The acceptance and the compenhension of e-bullying and e- addiction.
- The formation of targets and planning for actions about e-bullying
- The promotion of good practices on communication
- The creation of home – rules and school regulations
- The strengthening of the relations between parents, teachers and children’s which contributed to the safer e-navigation .